Specials on C is a community bodega for creative expression. We partner with educators, creators, and artists to build unique experiences fostering the creative capital of New York City.
Previously ‘The Family Deli’, Specials on C is located on the NorthWest corner of Avenue C and 12th Street in Alphabet City. Totaling roughly 700 square feet, we believe in providing space to those who are transitional, experimental, and inspirational.
So far, we've helped...
- RAE transform a bodega into art
- GO EAST build a holiday pop up store for independent makers
- Crush Distance jam out at a secret show
- Emilie Baltz & Carla Diana make music by eating ice cream
- Marko Bon host his first solo painting exhibition
- Juliet Silva Yee create collaborative hair art with kids
- Popup Art Event create a series of events and exhibitions on the Art of Hair
- FIENDS launch a new clothing brand
- MENSEN facilitate 3 days of women focussed art and workshops
- Richard Clarkson teach people about their super powers
- Sines show case the life of Frank the Ape
- Jump Kitchen remember childhood sweets
- Deondre Green embrace the native spirit of all of us
- Maker State empower children to create
- Christian Acker exhibit the calligraphy-based history of graffiti
- The Makery build candy arcade machines
Since taking over the space in October 2013, GothamSmith and friends have remodeled, repaired, and cleaned up years of grease and grime to breathe new life into the space. Great care has been taken to preserve the style of bodega's past while creating a space for free expression for the future.
Interested in renting the deli?
Every event starts with a conversation. Please contact us so that we may show you the space and learn more about what you would like to do. Feel free to view our floor plan or storefront listing for more details about the space. We will help in whatever way we can to help you express yourself.